More than 75% of the US coyote population lives in urban areas, including Greene County. Visit Ohio Division of Wildlife for more information, resources, and links.


Deer can be a nuisance when they damage scrubs, flowers, and plants in your backyard. The best way to deter deer is to keep food sources indoors and do not feed the deer. Download the Ohio Department of Wildlife brochure Deer Damage Control for more information.


Raccoons are well adapted to urban living. Raccoon damage typically involves raiding gardens, upsetting trash cans, and taking up residence in chimneys, attics, or other unwanted areas. Control is not difficult, but requires persistence.

Garden fruits and vegetables can be very appealing and accessible to raccoons. For smaller garden plots, a single strand of electric fence can be strung eight inches above the ground.

Skunks & Opossums

Skunks and opossums seldom cause damage to property other than raiding garbage or eating pet food. They sometimes reside under buildings or in rock and wood piles. Discourage visits by taking appropriate precautions.
  • In confined spaces, skunks or opossums may be driven away by placing an ammonia-soaked towel in the den.
  • Install a one-way door until you are sure the wild animal(s) have left and then permanently seal the entrance.
  • An animal that becomes trapped in a window well will climb out if you place a rough board in the well that extends to the top.
  • If an animal gets into the house, open a door and calmly allow it to exit.
  • Don't chase or excite a skunk.
Nuisance or sick wildlife (raccoons, opossums, skunks, etc.) may be trapped without a permit, but it is illegal to live trap and relocate them to a new area. In order to prevent the possible spread of diseases in Ohio, all live trapped wildlife must be released again on the homeowner's property or humanely euthanized. Consult the Ohio Department of Natural Resources Wildlife Division (ODNR) for more information.

Further Information

For additional information regarding nuisance wildlife, please contact our office with which township, city or village you live, so that we can better assist your needs. Or you can visit Ohio Division of Wildlife.