Trebein/Valley/US 35 Interchange Project
TREBEIN/VALLEY/US 35 INTERCHANGE PROJECT
This project is highly important to the safety of the traveling public in and thru Greene County and is to save lives. This proposed interchange is part of the final component of the long-term project to upgrade US 35 from I75 (Dayton, OH) to IR 64 (Charleston WV). We believe we are providing a strong application to the TRAC committee for construction funding and we want to thank the Greene County Commissioners for their support and financial commitment of 20% local funding for the project.
This project is to replace the existing at-grade US 35/Valley/Trebein intersection with an interchange of Valley Trebein over US 35.
- Complete thru Stage 2 and funded by TRAC
- Right of Way
- Authorized and funded by TRAC
- Seeking TRAC Funding for Construction - currently not funded
- Current construction cost Estimate 32 million
- Local funds 6.4 million (20%)
- Federal Funds 25.6 million
- This part of the final component of the long-term project to upgrade US 35 from I75 (Dayton, OH) to IR 64 (Charleston, WV).
- In 2018, ODOT TRAC awarded funds for the design and right of way for this project.
- In 2017 Highway Safety Improvement Plan, this intersection ranted 105th in the state for suburban intersections for crashes from 2013-2017.
- This is the first traffic signal after driving 130 miles (or 2 hours) west across the state of Ohio on US 35 from Point Pleasant, WV.
- The types of crashes that occur at this intersection unfortunately are severe as many involve semis. There are also capacity issues with the current intersection which adds to the safety issues. During peak times, vehicles back up beyond Dayton-Xenia Rd, up the off ramp on US 35 and on US 35 toward Dayton. Many safety improvements have occurred to this intersection such as additional signage, flashing signage, etc., however, safety issues still exist and congestion continues.
- By 2038, US 35 approach to the signal at Valley-Trebein will be a Level of Service of F.
- This project is not a new project. This intersection improvement was actually identified in the 1976 and 1987 Thoroughfare Plans as a proposed/needed improvement. This project started in the planning with ODOT in 2007 and has been progressing thru the project process.
- The original project with ODOT was three intersections: Factory, Orchard and Trebein/35. Due to the size of the project, it was broken into two projects due to funding restrictions.
- The intersections of Factory and US 35 and Orchard and US 35 are currently under construction and will be completed later this year. That is what is being called the superstreet project.
- Current TRAC application cycle.
- Application cycle opened March 1, 2021.
- Applications due/submitted on March 26, 2021.
- Application Scoring and Regional Hearings will be held by ODOT for all applications submitted to TRAC.
- Presentation to TRAC committee - May 6, 2021.
- Draft List of Projects will come out in July 2021.
- Final List will be presented in August 2021.
- ODOT District 8 has presented this project to TRAC a couple of times for construction funding and was unsuccessful.
- Greene County presented this project to TRAC in 2019 for construction funding and unsuccessful.
- Greene County submitted this project to TRAC in 2020 for construction funding but the funding round was eliminated due to covid.
- The authorized design consultant was selected in 2007.
- The planning study was completed in 2009.
- The interchange study was competed in 2011.
- The preliminary Engineering Study was completed in 2012.
- The environmental study was completed in 2015.
- The detail design is currently in progress with a planned completion date of later in 2022. The current design firm is CH2M Hill/Jacobs.
- The current planned sale date is Spring 2023 (depends on if successful in obtaining funding from TRAC and the year they would make the funding available for the project) and would take 2 years to complete.
LETTERS OF SUPPORT
- Beavercreek Schools
- Beavercreek Township Fire Department
- Beavercreek Township
- Carlo C McGinnis, Valley Springs Farm
- City of Beavercreek
- City of Fairborn
- City of Xenia
- Clark State University
- Congressman Michael R. Turner
- Dayton Development Coalition
- Greene County Career Center
- Greene County Commissioners
- Greene County Department of Development
- Greene County Port Authority
- Greene County Regional Airport Authority
- Greene County Sheriff, Gene Fischer
- Greene County Township Association
- Nutter Enterprises, Ltd.
- Ohio University
- Phillips Company
- Regional Planning and Coordinating Commission of Greene County
VARIOUS DRONE VIDEOS OF INTERSECTION AND SURROUNDING AREA: